Bi-County Bike/Ped (Orange Belt) Trail BUILD Grant
The USDOT has released the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for FY 2018 BUILD (Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development) Discretionary Grants (https://www.transportation.gov/BUILDgrants). This year $1.5 billion is made available to fund transportation projects. Additionally, there is up to $15 million (of the $1.5 billion) to be awarded as grants for the planning, preparation or design of eligible projects.
Pasco County is excited to submit an application for the FY 2018 BUILD Transportation Planning Grant in order to support the Bi-County Bicycle/Pedestrian (aka Orange Belt) Trail Project Development and Environment (PD&E) Study. The PD&E Study will look at the economic, social, and environmental impacts for the proposed Bi-County Bicycle/Pedestrian Trail. The proposed Bi-County Bicycle/Pedestrian Trail will span the entire county from the southwest to the northeast corners and provides an essential “backbone” for regional connectivity as well as to rural developing communities throughout Pasco County particularly in the central and northeast regions.
Listed as a priority trail in the renewal of the 2015 Penny for Pasco Local Option Sales Surtax, , the Bi-County Bicycle/Pedestrian Trail will connect Pasco County to Florida’s growing statewide trail system and will further contribute to Florida’s robust outdoor ecotourism which garnered $58.6 billion in annual consumer spending and generated 485,000 jobs in 2017 alone. The trail will attract new business and promote economic development within the county.
The BUILD grant application has been submitted to USDOT through the Grants.gov system. The following supporting material has been posted on this website for reference purposes:
- Pasco County Metropolitan Planning Organization MOBILITY 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan (PDF)
- 2018-2032 Transportation Capital Improvement Projects (page 153) (PDF)
- MPO’s 2017 Transportation Improvement Program (List of Priority Projects) (PDF)
- Pasco County Greenways, Trails and Blueways Map (PDF)
- Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA) 2018 Regional Multi-Use Trails Network Map and 2019 Regional Multi-Use Trails Priority Projects List (PDF)
- 2018 Florida Greenways and Trails System/Priority Trails Map (PDF)
- 2018 SUN Trail Coast to Coast Connector Map (PDF)